The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My first 'real' watch and first Heuer.

Hi Guys,

I have been reading this forum for 9 months or so now whilst searching for my first Heuer, now that it has arrived I though I would share my story with you.

As my 30th birthday present I though I would try to find a watch from as close to my birth year as possible. So after some googling I fell in love with the Heuer 844 divers. 9 months later and two near purchases (one from AndyO - crackingly good bloke to deal with) I found one on ebay in Northern Australia. A good deal was had and my watch arrived yesterday.

She is a little beaten up - as I new from the ebay ad, but all in all I am stoked.

After winning the auction and having a chat to the seller (the original purchaser) I discovered that he bought the watch in Exeter, UK in 1984 where he used it as a diver while salvaging the Empress of Britain.

My plans are to have the glass replaced and a service, the last service was in 1994. I would also like a new insert for the bezel, just as an option, I do love the current insert as I think it shows the history of the watch.

The handset is the question that I don't know the answer to. Is it better to put up with a little corrosion or find a new handset and have the lume not match?

Anyway, thanks for reading and here are a couple of hastily taken photos.

Cheers, Nathan.

http://1drv.ms/1nrCTsh

http://1drv.ms/1nrCOEV

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE