The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Sharp observation, Mark.

Hello Mark,

two point of your short summary are very interesting to me. The first one is, that everyone is looking for a "Siffert", let's name it, we can't take it back anyway. But most of those people don't even know what he did, except of being a racecar driver. And you already named another example, when a distinctive name adds to its desirability. We also have the Paul Newman as one of the most expensive Rolexes. So the marketing works.

Something else you pointed out is, that it's a trend. The Monacos some time ago and two be honest only the 1133B (aka Steve McQueen) made the big step into the focus of collectors of other brands. I think the 1163T (white/blue) will also stay in focus.

Btw. I kind of regret it, not buying some in 2011/2012 for 3-4k€. It seems, that you have to double the money for one.

Kind regards,
Manuel

P.S.: @Mike: I know Stewart for a while now and the least what I expect of him is jealousy.

: There is, however, an 1163 T.

: If you give a name to a thing, does it become more desirable? 365
: GTB/4 anyone? Or would you prefer a Daytona? Only one of those
: is a Ferrari...

: It's a cool colour scheme, it's rarer than the Viceroy colours but
: I'd agree the prices are a bit overheated. I find it a bit
: ironic that we're up to, what, 6 marks of Siffert now. Surely
: most of those are just plain old Ts, that have similar colours
: to the watch Seppi wore?

: Ok, I'm being familiar with his name there but that gets me
: thinking too. Of those who covet the watch because of the
: connection with Siffert, how many could pick him out of a line
: up of 60/70s F1 drivers? And in the car?

: Interesting to watch the interest in the watches increase, but I'm
: happy to watch from the sidelines in this instance. Just as I
: was when everyone was buying Monacos 3 or 4 years ago.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE