The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
One Observation on "Investors"...
In Response To: Re: People Who Buy Watches ()

: What you say makes sense. I guess I will add an investor category
: to my thoughts.

My father, a collector who at one time probably owned over 1,000 watches once made me a bet that I could not beat the stock market by being an "investor" in watches. I proved him wrong only by buying watches and selling them right away....cash flow...being a "dealer". As a collector, I am an opportunistic collector. I think I am a pretty astute buyer. There are certainly people who know more about specific types of watches than I do but I will put my broad knowledge of vintage watches or the vintage watch market up against most. I also work pretty hard at it. I travel far and wide to build relationships with sellers and I have the means to buy. Having said that, the watches I have collected...in-other-words, the watches I have kept around for a while would not have beaten my dad's stock investments. I would bet, the same as my dad, that most "investors" end up losing money in the long run if what they would have made in more traditional investments is taken into account. Most investors die or at least get very old with their watches. When the watches get sold they take their lumps.

You might be able to give me individual examples where what I have said above is wrong....but the whole will prove me right....I have been around long enough to see a statistically significant sample.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE