The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: WTF happened to the hands?
In Response To: Re: WTF happened to the hands? ()

No worries Stefan.
It would have been clearly florescent under a black light/UV light - it's how to check for original Heuer paint. :0(

If I were you, I'd be kicking your watchmaker - he ruined the highly sought after faded tropical Heuer. (IMHO)
That hand has had 30+ years of sun fading, and was beautiful.. it matched the dial and the min/hour hands perfectly. You said that you had no idea that the watchmaker did it.. yet earlier you said you had it painted to match the orange strap - I don't know which is correct?

Either way, IMHO, the look of the watch has been ruined, and it has been massively de-valued. Sorry - but that's how I feel.. such a great shame. A stunning original tropical sun faded white dialled Heuer, ruined by painting the chrono hand. I'm gutted for the watch.

I'm really sorry - you probably don't agree with me, but I hate to see beautiful old Heuers ruined like this with a school-boy error.

Stewart
- Heuerville

: Sorry Stewart
: I misunderstood you infact..
: Anyway, I didn't ask to my watchmaker to repaint the hands, but he
: do so it's too late. But I like it the same, maybe more than
: before (it was like yellow, and not florescent anyway).
: Bye

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE