The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Orvis Solunagraph
In Response To: Re: Orvis Solunagraph ()

: The unusual thing is that this bezel
: doesn´t operate with a speed higher than 120 km/ h, but that
: might be because the watch is meant to measure the speed og
: sailing vehicles, that seldom reach a speed higher than 120
: km/h. It is lovely watch, which I happen to own myself, but mine
: has a normal bezel.

The sailing vehicle in which I had a share was lucky to reach 7kts (13kph), and there are no regular markers at sea to measure against...
Oh, it could perhaps get to 9kts surfing down a wave, but that was well out of my comfort zone on something weighing 9 tonnes.

The only nautical activity I can think of that might use this range is rowing, where the strikes of the oars (if that's the right term) could be counted and turned into a rate by this bezel.

Mike

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE