The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Fascinating News -- Hodinkee Now Selling Vintage Watches

I think this news is great for somebody just getting into vintage watches or even seasoned collectors that are dipping their toes into a brand that they don't have any expertise in. That said, I think I speak for a lot of other informed collectors that actually prefer the inefficiency of the current system, given that I don't buy from dealers and specifically look for pieces from original owners that are poorly described and horribly photographed. That's where the edge is!

Regardless, I don't think the Hodinkee Shop will change that, as original owners who threw it in a drawer for 30 years aren't likely to read Hodinkee on a weekly basis and don't give it much thought other than throwing it up on eBay and seeing what happens. If anything, it will force dealers and auction houses to have more accountability in their descriptions, pictures, etc., which is a net positive for the entire industry.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE