The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Let's Discuss -- Brands, Heritages, Re-Issues, Homages,

Yes good questions. I agree with Yves - they should take inspiration from the old models but not slavishly copy them. After all the movement is never going to be the same so what's the point in being 100% 'authentic' outside ? Would you go to great lengths to replicate a D-Type Jag down to every last detail and then put a modern XK8 motor inside ? I'd much rather they be inspired by the overall aesthetic than get bogged down in detail. For example, the re-issue Monaco's have become more concerned with capturing the original details (hour markers, hands, fonts etc) but for me they missed something much more basic right from the start which they've never corrected - proportions. That 'slightly wider than tall' look, with more of a bulge at the sides. If they got that right, I wouldn't be overly bothered about whether the details match the originals as long as the overall look 'channels' that original aura. I still like the Monaco re-issues and wear a couple frequently, but if I want to simply get a watch out and gaze at it and admire the original concept then it has to be 1133. I can see why the 'fantasy' Autavias have been popular, two or three of those caught my eye more than the others. And yes I agree the Heuer shield is more elegant and evocative than the TH logo but part of me finds it sad that the company in its current form can't be reflected on the dial, after all they're the ones making these re-issues possible.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE