The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Off-Topic: Who Watched the Austrian GP Today?

: So who watched the end of the Austrian GP today? For a moment, I
: thought that it was Senna / Prost at Sazuka, 1989.

: Nice to see Max bring the Red Bull / TAG Heuer home in second
: place!!

: So what did you think of it?

Jeff,

First of all I love it that Romain Grosjean and Hass were in the top 10 again (7).

Having said that I did watch the last 20 or so laps of the race. I dreaded the potential for another race clouded by the perception of fix being in with the tire change/pit stop shenanigans going on in the Mercedes camp. I loved it, with 3 or 4 laps to go as Hamilton caught up to Rosberg, that the announcers began to speculate that although the team would be calling for a clean finish that Lewis would not back down. They correctly pointed out that a crash-out/DNF for both cars would be better for Nico. Then you had Lewis getting around Nico fairly cleanly but Nico obviously trying to take up too much room and push him off the track. Either car or both could have been damaged...Nico rolled the dice and lost. In IndyCar he would likely have been penalized.

All in all it was a very interesting and dramatic finish to another sort of OK F-1 race. The only other real drama was the height of the rumble strips in the corners during qualifications.

Honestly, it was nowhere near as good a race as last weekend's IndyCar race at Road America.

I love F-1, or want to love it. The technology is wonderful and the drivers are superstars. However, those two facts...and the money involved to support those two facts make it so susceptible to corruption...and quite frankly so corrupt. This race in Austria had some real racing at the end...some rare actual racing between teammates who are usually separated at the end of a race by internal team strategy. The cars are so expensive and delicate that there is usually no real call to hang them out there and race. This time we at least had a genuine racing finish.

JohnCote
Not without prejudice
IndyCar Employee.
Motorsport Lover

Messages In This Thread

Off-Topic: Who Watched the Austrian GP Today?
Re: Off-Topic: Who Watched the Austrian GP Today?
One More Comment
Re: One More Comment
Re: One More Comment
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE