The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Getting Tired of the Scammers - Is there more we can do?

Its unfortunate, but as vintage watches have increased in popularity, so to have the number of unscrupulous people trying to take advantage of true collectors and enthusiasts . I am wondering if there is more we can do as a community to stop these postings before they ever go live on Chronotrader? I understand from the moderators perspective, that no one person wants to view every FS or WTT post. Simply too time consuming. However, I suspect that there is enough interest in helping among the community that perhaps a new process could be put in place. Even something as simple as ensuring that there is a proper "tagged" picture in the ad(s) before allowing them to be posted on the forum? As someone who enjoys this forum very much, I certainly would be willing to not only assist, but would not mind the extra step of having my ad qualified with such a pic before it is approved to be posted. Could other Chronotrader moderators be added to help in this manner? Does this make sense or is it too drastic?

Justin has done a great job helping to monitor the site, and we all appreciate his efforts to ensure the authenticity of the sellers and their pieces. I am sure his efforts have saved thousands of dollars from being lost.

I wanted to raise the topic for discussion, and see what more we can do to help Jeff and to make our OTD community a safer place.

Thanks - Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Getting Tired of the Scammers - Is there more we can do?
Surprised there is not more interest in this subject....
Re: Getting Tired of the Scammers - Is there more we can do?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE