The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Getting Tired of the Scammers - Is there more we can do?

Thanks Jeff, I hate to be a broken record all the time but most that I post on never respond and just go away so that is a plus.

A lot of forums these days require tagged pictures to even post a listing in an effort to combat scammers and I believe it truly works. Honestly I don't see what the problem or hassle is. Most of the photos that members post are very well done (e.g. Not just a crappy smartphone pic) so what is the big deal about putting a post-it one of the frames. I feel it would eliminate the majority of the fraudulent posts. I would be happy to volunteer to help out in any way that I can. I despise the laziness and lack of morals that these people represent and am willing to go out of my way to make attempting to steal much harder for them.

If we do this it certainly needs to be done in a consistent and thorough manner. It would need to say "for sale on ChronoTrader by xxxx". Otherwise it would really wouldn't do much good because all one would have to do is ask a seller elsewhere to write the scammers name on the paper and it would appear to be legit when they aren't the ones with the watch in their possession. No seller in their right mind would write that their watch was for sale on ChronoTrader by "insert scammer's name here" (or at least they shouldn't 🙄). I could get you a tagged pic of a Ferrari in about 30 mins if it just needed my name in the pic.

One issue I hear is that sellers want to sell in various places. Easy Solution: write it out as

"For sale on ChronoTrader by xxxxx"
Watchuseek
Dive Watch Connection
Etc.

All forum names in the same pic and then the pics can be used in all of your preferred venues without having to take a bunch of extra pics.

Those are just my humble suggestions to make verifying as quick as possible and it reduces the chances of a sneaky scammer from slightly altering the text in order to persuade a legitimate owner from creating proof of possession for a scammer.

Any input from other members or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I may be overlooking something.

Cheers 🍻! I hope everyone had a good weekend and I look forward to seeing what everyone is wearing tomorrow!

Justin

Messages In This Thread

Getting Tired of the Scammers - Is there more we can do?
Surprised there is not more interest in this subject....
Re: Getting Tired of the Scammers - Is there more we can do?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE