The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Yay or nay? Odd Heuer 2446 [Images Now Added] *PIC*

Hi guys,

Not sure if this have been posted in the past but wanted to share a discussion from another forum.

I am by no means good at Heuers so forgive me for my ignorance.

I went to a local auction today and checked out a Heuer 2446. This dial looks like an authentic first exec 2446 dial but is in a later case. Big question is regarding the T marking which looks to have been printed later than the normal print. A lot of people disregard this dial as wrong for the case and that the T-marking is something that someone added later. I am intrigued by this detail as I think it looks factory made. My question is if someone would find it possible that this dial was used from factory much later than the normal first execs which would explain the later case and parts. Perhaps a special order or just someone finding an unused dial plate and then having it applied with tritium and adding the T before shipping the dial out. This to me makes more sense than that someone would add the T much later for an unknown reason.

Link to the watch in question:
http://online.auktionsverket.se/prgm/objektm.asp?a=415860&s=1&fr=&k=530818127

I attached a pic of the odd T-marking: (dial is obviously relumed badly later)

I can't see that the relume is done by Heuer. Also I can't see that the person doing such a bad job reluming would fix the T-marking.

Opinions?

I am by no means affiliated with this sale. Nor do I have any interest in buying the watch. I just found it peciliar and interesting. :)

Kindly,

Per

[images added by Moderator]

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE