The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Understand Your Frustration . . .
In Response To: Timing Etiquette ()

This has been a recurring issue over the years, but we have never imposed a rule or guideline limiting the discussion of live auctions. We just count on everyone to do the right thing, and of course this standard is subject to varying interpretations.

My own three cents --

• First cent -- There is virtually nothing that goes under the radar right now. I can give you a list of five bargain Heuers that I have spotted over the last couple of years, and none ended up being much of a bargain. Yes, I recognize that any incremental exposure may drive up the price incrementally, but prohibiting all discussion for the sake of these "under the radar" Heuers does not seem right.
  • Second cent -- My libertarian urge and displeasure with policing / playing sheriff lead me to let it be.
  • Third cent -- open discussion of such hidden gems is good for interest in the forum / traffic, which is generally a good thing in the ecosystem of vintage watch discussion forums.
As always, interested to hear other views and change the approach, as appropriate.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I don't mean for this to come off as a rant (so don't read it as
: condescending or yelling via text), but posts like that are a
: bit of a pet peeve for me.

: I think, in general, it's best to post stuff like this after the
: auction ends. If it's a giant, well-publicized auction (like
: Phillips or Christie's), then it doesn't matter because a ton of
: people are going to be looking and bidding anyway. For the
: smaller houses, however? Not so much. If you're a prospective
: bidder, the last thing you want to do is add more eyeballs to
: the smaller auction before the gavel goes down. And if you don't
: plan on bidding, a post-mortem is probably the best and most
: respectful route. Same goes for eBay auctions, IMO.

: Others can feel free to agree or disagree, but that's just my two
: cents. And yes, this one struck a nerve because I have been
: eyeing this lot for a couple weeks now...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE