The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Understand Your Frustration . . .

I am newer to this forum than most everyone here I am guessing. When I started to have an interest in watches, I read through an incredible number of OTD posts, as well as blogs and books, to learn as much as I could. And after that, I read more and more. And I know that I will never know as much as many of the people here.

As a result, I can’t imagine if there were no discussion of pieces for sale on OTD. Discussions let me see unique/interesting watches I would have overlooked (maybe I bid upon, maybe not), and more importantly, the only way I will feel confident about bidding is if someone more knowledgeable has "OK'ed" it (understanding nothing is 100%). I'm not sure if there is another way to get started collecting except with help of others.

I also know my limits for what I can pay. And I am OK if I wind up paying a bit more (but still under my limit) as a result of a watch being discussed on this forum. It may increase the price I'll pay, it might not. The watch might get even more press if Hodinkee features it, or it appears on another board, but nothing I can do to stop those things from happening (I could say I benefit since by those also, but I leave it to others to evaluate other forums and H's abilities). Likewise if I see a watch I think is interesting and others may have missed, I should post it as well. Karma points for me!

I think about what would happen if the environment was such so there was no review/discussion of watches until after they had been sold (either through a hard and fast rule or gentleman's agreement), and the impact to everyone who is a part of the community that isn't an expert. Where does the new guy/gal go for help so they don't make a bad decision in spending their hard earned money? Maybe the answer is simply that is how it goes when you get started. You might make lots of mistakes and spend a tremendous amount, but one day you will be an expert.

I am not a dealer, and I understand that someone trying to make a living off buying and selling may have a more difficult time as a result of discussion of a watch they are bidding on. And I am sure there will be people that are bidding on the watch that will choose not to contribute to the discussion, which is absolutely reasonable and I would expect that to be the case.
What is not reasonable is bad-talking the watch on the board and then purchasing (it sounds like that was before my time here, though maybe one day I will run across the thread and figure out who it was so I can discount their opinions going forward! Or please feel free to PM me ☺ ).

My two cents, worth what you paid!
TS

: This has been a recurring issue over the years, but we have
: never imposed a rule or guideline limiting the discussion of
: live auctions. We just count on everyone to do the right thing,
: and of course this standard is subject to varying
: interpretations.

: My own three cents -- First cent -- There is virtually nothing
: that goes under the radar right now. I can give you a list of
: five bargain Heuers that I have spotted over the last couple of
: years, and none ended up being much of a bargain. Yes, I
: recognize that any incremental exposure may drive up the price
: incrementally, but prohibiting all discussion for the sake of
: these "under the radar" Heuers does not seem right.
: Second cent -- My libertarian urge and displeasure with policing
: / playing sheriff lead me to let it be. Third cent -- open
: discussion of such hidden gems is good for interest in the forum
: / traffic, which is generally a good thing in the ecosystem of
: vintage watch discussion forums. As always, interested to hear
: other views and change the approach, as appropriate.

: Jeff

: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE