The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What are these then? *LINK*
In Response To: What are these then? ()

Great Questions, so here are my attempts at the answers:

(QUESTION 1) You describe the plate as follows:

"One in located at the top of the plate between the pair, one on the top RH side. there is NO hole on the LH side and no holes on the bottom of the plate" and ask whether it is genuine / made by Heuer.

ANSWER: I believe that this is a custon-made plate, not made by Heuer. I have never seen this configuration. If it is made by Heuer, it would probably have their mark on the back -- "Ed. Heuer & Co.", although the earliest plates had no markings on the back.

(QUESTION 2) You describe the timers as follows:

"The LH model is a Monte Carlo 11 lap; The RH model is an Auto-Rallye 11 lap. But here is the thing, the Auto-Rallye has the 'signature style' handwritten "Monte Carlo" going across the very cenre. "Monte" on one side of the cenrte of the hands "Carlo" on the other side. What is it then?"

ANSWER: Actually, both of these are Monte Carlos (if they have the windows to count the hours -- 0 through 11). The one on the right is the very first version of the Monte Carlo -- it said "Auto-Rallye" across the top and "Monte Carlo", in script, across the middle of the dial. The one on the left would be a slightly later verison, but they are both Monte Carlos. Have a look at the 1959-60 catalog, linked below.

(QUESTION 3): "Are these a 'real' pair?"

ANSWER: They certainly sound like genuine Heuer Monte Carlos, but they are from slightly different periods of production. The one with the two names on the dial -- "Auto-Rallye" and "Monte Carlo" (in script) -- is the earlier version.

I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS; WE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE PHOTOGRAPHS TO ADD TO OnTheDash.

Cheers,

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

What are these then?
Re: What are these then? *LINK*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE