The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Looks fine to me...

Thoughts on this Carrera reissue please Posted By:
Steven Date: 9/3/05 00:25 GMT What do you guys think? genuine?

I don't see any thing that raises red flags...

movement looks like the one in Mr. Maddox's article, though there's some extra writing on it ("unadjusted").

Oh, please call me Chuck! This movement is the same movement Omega uses on the Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" and there is frequently variation in the wording etched into the various plates of this movement.

The caseback markings are not quite like the ones I have seen photos of posted here. there's no " carrera re-edition.." words that some casebacks have and the serial has "N 0" before it instead of two letters. I guess there were different markings.

I believe there were a number of different production runs of this model and when there are "batch" operations, frequently there are minute differences like those you have pointed out from batch to batch. Again, not something to be alarmed about.

since I am here, let me ask some questions about the movement operations. the seconds don't hack I see, but when I accidentally moved the hands counter-clockwise, the seconds hand starting moving backward. Is this normal or can I injure the movement by doing this?

This is normal behaviour of the Lemania c.187x family of movements (and as far as that goes, the Lemania c.23x0 series (aka Omega c.321) as well as most manual wind Valjoux chronograph movements.

Doing so won't hurt the movement unless you hold it at idle or "back it up" for extended periods of time...

When winding the crown starts to move backwards after a while. Is this normal?

Also normal (or at least common)...

should I stop winding at that point or should I continue until the end like with normal non-chrono handwinding movements that I am familiar with.

I'd personally wind it until it you feel resistance to further winding. The Lemania c.1873 is a TOUGH movement, unless you wind it with pliers or vice grips you won't break it winding unless it's already broken...

finally I just want to say that this is an incredibly good looking and comfortable watch. I always wanted a thin , small chronograph and this is just perfect.

I agree, it's a great watch. I think it can be dressier than a "moonwatch". It's ashame that TAG-Heuer hasn't come out with a Zenith powered manual wind movement to replace this model once LVMH could no longer source the movement from Lemania.

Congratulations on a great watch!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE