The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Siffert and Sue (and an Autavia) -- Photo and *LINK*

I had an conversation today with an interesting person, Sue Lehmann, shown on the left in the photograph below.

Here is a quick version of the story behind this photograph.

In the early 1970's, Sue was working with Yardley, in their marketing department. Yardley was the main sponsor for Jo Siffert, and Sue worked with Jo on a regular basis, at all his races. (She confirms that it was a real marketing job, not just today's version of a "Marlboro girl" in hot pants.) So now that I have introduced you to Sue, let me tell you about this photograph, in which he wears what has come to be known as the "Siffert Autavia".

The photograph was taken at the British Grand Prix, held at Silverstone, in 1971. Later that year, Siffert was racing in an non-Formula One event, at Brands Hatch, so Sue had Siffert autograph the photograph for her prior to the race. She wish himed luck before the race, and watched him drive out of the pits and onto the track. He was killed in a crash a few laps later.

Sue will be providing additional photos of Jo Siffert, and we will be creating a section of OnTheDash covering Siffert, parallel to the McQueen / Le Mans / Monaco section. [The link below will take you to our page covering the Siffert Autavia.]

Thanks to Jonathan Scatchard for the introduction to Sue; thanks to Sue for the photograph, the conversation and the prospect of working together.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE