The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Vintage Carrera-should I open the case?

In 1964 I bought a Carrera45 2reg.deci. I wore it occasionally untill about 1975 and then put it away.
I stumbled on this forum several weeks ago and decided to resurrect my Heuer. Its in Fairly good condition, A couple of crystal scratches and some very light scratches on the case. I wound and set it and am happy to report that 30 yrs of sleeping doesn't seem to have bothered it. All functions are go and it keeps excellent time. I plan to return it to occasional use and I have several questions for the group:
1.There is no Heuer sig. on the crown and all of the pics i've seen on the web seem to show one.
(this watch has never been serviced or repaired, or out of my possession)
2.I would like to have a local competent jeweler
open the back so I could take some pics of the movement. Are there any new Gaskets or seals required to do this?
3.Since it works ok, should I have it serviced
etc? (I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke.....")
When I figure out the system I'll put up a couple of pics.
Thanks for a very intresting web site.
Walt

Messages In This Thread

Vintage Carrera-should I open the case?
Re: Vintage Carrera-should I open the case?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE