The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What If?? Shauntavia Re-Issue
In Response To: What If?? Shauntavia Re-Issue ()

Thanks for the post, Jeff!

Not much of backstory but here goes: The elongated Arabic numerals of the Shauntavia are just so cool to me. So, I got inspired on New Years Eve and thought the slick black bezel of the 2020 Autavia would blend nicely with that dial. The font is just so unique that there’s no surprise it’s such a Heuer favorite.

What’s also super cool is the longer colored marker sticks that extend all the way to the numerals vs shorter red ones on a Viceroy for example. To me this is reminiscent of 60s Heuer — e.g. the “All Lume” Autavia 2446H lume markers and also the Carrera 3647’s marker/dial simplicity — and I love that design detail of the 60s Heuer designs.

Back to the font: I think it has a strong “wow, WHAT. IS. THAT?” quality and it would be great to see on a re-issue one day. In its own way, the Skipper dials have a similar “this is different” whimsicality to their dial design. Which is what makes Heuer so fun and interesting I think. I hope the watch designers had as much fun making these classics ~50 years ago as we all do appreciating them.

- Ara

: Here's an interesting Photoshop piece, posted on Instagram by
: HeuerRooklyn -- https://www.instagram.com/p/B652mBPnubS/

: A great looking watch . . . celebrating one of the community
: favorites . . . if only TAG Heuer were able to incorporate the
: Heuer 01 or Heuer 02 movement into this size case.

: Still, fun to imagine some of the re-issues that TAG Heuer could
: offer.

: Jeff

:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE