The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Hand-winding Calibre 12 Movemenets

Hi Everyone - I'm new to vintage Heuer watches, and have been fortunate enough to have acquired a few Autavias and a Carrera that all have the Calibre 12 movement.

I know this is an incredibly stupid question - but with the crown on the lefthand side I wanted to make sure I'm hand-winding it correctly. Generally I only hand wind if the watch is empty of power reserve and I want to start wearing it and jumpstarting the movement. So I suppose my questions are:

1) Is it bad on the movement to hand-wind an empty Calibre 12? Or should I just put it on and get the rotor moving to get things started?

2) Do I wind it clockwise or counter-clockwise as the crown is on the left? It is MUCH easier to wind counterclockwise, and when I go backward (our clockwise) it seems to be really gritty and worries me that I may be causing damage to the movement.

Anyways - any tips for what is best for these 1970's watches would be MIUCH appreciated - and sorry for the total newbie questions!

Messages In This Thread

Hand-winding Calibre 12 Movemenets
Sent an answer on Calibre 11 forum
Re: Sent an answer on Calibre 11 forum
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE