The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Sorry. Imprecise question
In Response To: Sorry. Imprecise question ()

: What I actually wanted to ask is:
: - Do you think this is all original?
: - Has it been polished?
: - Has it been polished and the plated again?
: - Something else?

: Peter. Denmark

: --------------------------------------------------

Hi Peter, not an expert of gold-plated watches as I've never owned one.
However looking at the pictures and knowing that indeed plating is just a couple tens of micron thick, to me it seems plausible that it may have been polished and replated.
In fact both the soleil finish on the main body is a bit shallow and some of the edges are a bit soft: yet plating (which would have worn out) seems intact there too. So unless the base metal underneath matches the plating colour so well, this is a telltale sign of replating IMHO.
However see my caveat at the beginning and take this for what it's worth - less than the proverbial 2c I'd say ;-).
Cheers,
Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE