The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
"Rare" Watches: Do You Want to See Just How Absurd It Is?

More than most of us, Little Johnny knows that a picture (or image) is worth a thousand words. So have a look at this summary of the watches in the Heuer Parade to see just how absurd the use of the word "rare" has become in the world of vintage watches.

Of the 42 watches, 35 were either rare, very rare, extremely rare or exceptionally rare. And it is absolutely impossible to explain these use of these words.

I guess I'll just take my "common" Ref 3646 Big Subs Autavia (Lot 5) and Ref 2447 Yachting Carrera (Lot 16) and go home.

Similar results in my review of other auctions. Yet another reason to love the big auction houses.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Mark,

: As usual, I can find nothing objectionable in your logic. My pet
: peve is not really that Jeff used the word rare. It is that
: words like rare and NOS are thrown around helter/skelter and
: they end up having no meaning. I got an email from a well known
: watch sale site this morning, informing me that they had 3 or 4
: new watches which were in my range of interest. One of them was
: described as NOS. It was nice...maybe "near mint." It
: had traces of the schmutz of having been worn. It had some minor
: surface scratches. It did not have the original bracelet and it
: had no box and papers. Can we agree that this is far from NOS?

: I would say that NOS is RARE....and again...I guess I am just an
: ass.

: Little Johnny...the ass.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE