The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Meaning of "New Old Stock"
In Response To: Meaning of "New Old Stock" ()

: With watches, it gets a bit more complicated, doesn't it?

: Jeff

I suppose it is more complicated with watches. Watches are complicated, are not vacuum sealed and can be tampered with more easily than vacuum tubes. But you said that I know that a pictures say a lot and I will both agree and disagree. I think a watch can look unworn in a picture but not be either unworn or NOS. It is easy to manufacture what people call NOS by putting on a new strap and doing some cleaning and detailing. We have all seen refinished watches described as NOS.

I guess NOS, at a certain point is just a matter of opinion. That point is probably when it gets hard to disprove. I will continue to be a nit-picker. I have shown a couple of what might be NOS watches here on this forum. I don't think I called them NOS. I think I said they were as close as you could get, both having been purchased by me from dealer stock....And...Here's how much I care (give a damn)...I can tell you that I have worn both of them so they are not NOS anymore.

Little Johnny
Curmudgeon and ass

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE