The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Difficult to Imagine Topping a McQueen Monaco

Some day, we may see a vintage Heuer chronograph top the $2.2 million mark, but my guess is that it will be another worn-by-McQueen Monaco.

Andretti 1158 CH? Putting aside any provenance, the watch is worth more than a 1133 B Monaco, but I have trouble believing that Andretti tops McQueen. We are in the universe of Hollywood memorabilia that sells for more than racing memorabilia. McQueen checks both these boxes.

Colin Chapman? Love the Skipperrera, but Chapman seems too "niche" to me.

Lauda / Villeneuve / Rindt / Siffert? Difficult to imagine any of them topping Mario Andretti.

So I suspect that we will continue with three universes / areas of the Venn diagram -- vintage Heuers / racers watches / Hollywood watches. I would put my money on the Hollywood watches to stay in the lead.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Jochen Rindt's 2446? Jo Siffert's 1163? Probably neither - outside
: of vintage watch circles, neither is linked to his watch as
: strongly and certainly not as well known as Steve McQueen.

: Best shot at topping $2.2mil for a vintage Heuer though I think
: would be Mario Andretti's 3646. Not only worn but was a prize
: for winning pole at Indy. Even so though, I think it'd struggle
: to make 7 figures really - people these days don't even know who
: Andretti is the way they did in the 70s.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE