The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Autavia 1163 GMT -- Mark 1, Mark 2 and Mark 3
In Response To: Rich ()

It is interesting to consider the merits of the Mark 1, Mark 2 and Mark 3 Autavia GMT chronographs. Considering which is the best of the three is an interesting debate, as they have very different elements and looks, and then there is the old question of supply / demand.

• Mark 1 has the merit of being the first of the executions, and there is something very engaging and purposeful about the 24-hour bezel, showing all 24 numerals. Rich points out that these chronographs came very early, right on the heels of the Chronomatics. The movement is a modified version of the Calibre 11. Many collectors would consider this one to be the pick of the litter, perhaps because of its position as the first execution.
  • Mark 2 has those interesting red hands (needles) on the chronograph registers . . . cool looking, but not cool for the pilot trying to read the thing . . . so they were soon replaced with black hands. If you are into tropical dials, then Mark 2 is where it's at for you. I believe that we see these with both the Calibre 11 and newly-developed GMT movement, the Calibre 14. Rich Crosthwaite observes that these are the most commonly-seen of the three executions.
  • Mark 3 is the last of the series, and I sometimes think that's when Heuer finally got it right . . . the bright red time-of-day hands are fun and provide excellent legibility; the racing stripes on the minute recorder add some sizzle; and the whole package comes together well. The Mark 3 has the Calibre 14 movement.

Currently, I have one of each and enjoy all three . . . so, for now, all are in the "permanent collection". But it is interesting to examine the elements and to see how these watches are the same and how they are different.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: greetings to you and yours

: thank for pointing out this, especially thank to Rich remembering
: me, being on the wrong side of 50 ;-) .
: I pulled out a glas of something fine, listening to dark side of
: the moon, checking some watches...

: cheers mich

Messages In This Thread

Good Posting by Rich re "Red Hands" Autavia 1163 GMT
Rich
Autavia 1163 GMT -- Mark 1, Mark 2 and Mark 3
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE