The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
KAF Autavia research project - MUCH IMPROVED

My first posting from 4 weeks ago had a lot of faults. Mixed up pictures etc. Sorry;-( Now it is fixed or at least much better. But this is a project that is under constant development so when I get more info and more watches in the database I will come back. Any comment is welcome.

KAF (Kenya Air Force) Autavia research project

During the last year or so I have collected information of Autavia’s issued to Kenya Air Force.

Every time I have come across an KAF Autavia I have registered the available information and when possible, reached out to whoever posted the watch. Big thanks to a lot of fellow collectors.

If you have a KAF that is not on the list or one that is missing information, please support this project my sending me the info. I will update now and then.

If you want the Excel spreadsheet and the Word document with the pictures let me know.

----------------------------------------

I have gathered these information’s:

KAF number:
• Until 1982 it was KAF followed by a 2- or 3-digit number.
• On 1 August 1982 a group of Air Force officers failed a coup, whereafter the KAF was disbanded and became part of the army as 82 Air Force. The numbering changed to 82AF followed by a 3-digit number.

Engraving type:
• I have found 4 types and named them:
• Small
• Small big – Still small, but bigger than small
• Big – KAF and the number is separated with a hyphen
• Handwritten – Big writing engraved by hand

Movement used:
• Calibre 12 - Automatic 12-hour 2 register chrono.
• Valjoux 7736 - Manual 12-hour 3 register chrono.
• Valjoux 7740/1 - Manual 12-hour 2 register chrono. The baseplate is stamped 7741 and it is probably a 7741 with the GMT wheel removed. So it functions as a Valjoux 7740 but has the thickness of a 7741.

Heuer reference number:
• 11630 (Calibre 12)
• 11063(V) (Calibre 12)
• 73663 (Valjoux 7736)
• 741603 (Valjoux 7740/1)

Dial:
• Normal – Viceroy style with red tips and hour markings or another design as on civilian executions.
• Arabic – Shauntavia style with digits positioned radial - red hour markings.
• Arabic orange – As Arabic but orange hour markings (Villeneuve style).
• Plongeur - Original or not? Does not come with the decompression bezel.

Bezel:
• MH – Minute/Hour.
• Tachymeter.
• They were probably all MH when delivered to KAF.

Serial Number:
• Only on a few watches. Need more info here.

Face and case back picture:
• “Y” if the picture exists

Seller/owner:
• This information is not public as not everybody wants to reveal their names.

Link:
• Web link too watches that were found on the internet. Not public.

Enjoy
Peter. Denmark

-

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE