The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
"MN" Code -- Seems to be from around 1966 to 1970
In Response To: 1963/64? ()

This was not a scientific examination, but I believe that the "MN" code was used on Valjoux 72 movements spanning serial numbers from approximately 70xxx all the way up to 130xxx and even 170xxx.

Trying to assign dates to this range, my best guess would be circa 1966/67 to circa 1969/70.

I have only surveyed movements with Valjoux 72 movements, and not the other Valjoux movements (92, etc.).

I do not have a definitive explanation as to what this two-letter code indicated, but when we discussed this some years ago the suggestion was that the "MN" was used to indicate that a particular Valjoux 72 movement was made for Heuer.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hello Jeff

: Many thanks for your input.
: All the 2446 Autavia 1st execution watches that I have seen have
: numbered bridges but no "NM" markings, also not the
: 2nd execution watches with no numbers engraved on the bridge. On
: the other hand, on all the 3rd execution 2446s that I have seen
: the plates did have the "MN" engraving. That would
: date the switch to "MN" to about 1963/64.

: Thank you and best regards from Old Europe

: Richard

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE