The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Is inflation also affecting vintage Heuer watches?

Dear OtD friends, after noticing how much some brands have increased prices on new watches, I started to wonder whether there's any spillover effect of that into the vintage market too.
Some brands have a policy of sticking very close to official CPI increases for new watches, others have again and again increased prices across the board - typically with a very similar percentage for all their models.
The same companies routinely also give a huge increase to prices when new models are released - even in cases where improvements from the previous models are not so remarkable, or some might argue there is hardly any improvement but just a change - i.e. for something different that per se is neither better or worse than the previous version.

What is your opinion about vintage watches? And specifically vintage Heuers?
As much as I haven't really bought any watch in ages - Heuer or else - I am starting to wonder whether different forces are at play: real (i.e. general) inflation, drying up of the supply for good vintage watches, bubble effect from the past few years that affects assets of all sorts - and how much each of them impacts the situation.
I'd be very glad to read your opinions.
Cheers,
Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE