The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Appreciate opinions on this Heuer badged dial in a Lemania

Firstly, can I ask if you agree that this Heuer badged dial in a Lemania 9801-72 case with a cal.2341 movement is a franken; but, if you feel or know different please let me know?! I am truly still trying to work out what I have here.

This brings me to my problem trying to understand the Heuer signed dial. Either it is a franken by dint of the dial being fake or it is not.

Second, can we also agree that the Lemania 9801-72 case with its accompanying cal1341 were only produced from c. 1970-75 until the cal. 5100 was introduced?

If so, and the dial is genuine, from what production model did it come from? Or if deemed original and no known production was it a prototype for a minutes Chrono created by Heuer and placed in whatever Lemania case that suited the project on the day - highly speculative I know. I have been speculating (because I want it to be true) that it might be a grab bag of parts put together by Heuer during the 1980-85 years especially during the "quartz Crisis" but reality draws me back and asks "but why?"

This movement serial is 3507xxx according to the rotor stamp and I believe this dates the movement to the early 70s?

I am certain it is pretty well accepted that Heuer never used a Lemania chronograph movement in their watches until they were owned by Lemania.

What do you think? You can be as brutal as you need to be :-)

After hands painted and replaced tacky dial:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE