The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Results Seemed Pretty Strong to Me
In Response To: Heuers at Bonhams today ()

I haven't analyzed the results in detail, but my impression watching the auction live was that the vintage Heuers performed pretty well. Most of the vintage Heuers sold above prevailing "eBay prices", which can't always be taken for granted.

It's a shame that the top lot among the Heuers didn't sell, but it was encouraging to see that "Big Subs" Autavia bid to $75,590 (final price on bid of 48,000 GBP, plus the 27% buyers premium, converted to US Dollars). [To put that into perspective, I believe that this same Autavia sold in the $8,000 range, back in December 2010, at Bonhams Auction of the Haslinger Collection.]

The vintage Carreras did not seem to perform well, but interesting to see some strong performances by other models -- Silverstone (Fume) at $9,448; Autavia 3646 "Andretti" at $14,173; and Carrera 7753 "Reverse Panda" at $12,598. All in all, it seemed to confirm that people are willing to pay good money for the vintage Heuer chronographs that are in excellent condition.

We also have to keep in mind that there will be disincentives affecting this sale of watches in London. As I understand it, buyers in Europe would be facing some high duties; not sure about the economics for US purchasers, but Bonhams does not seem to have a strong following here. They seem to offer so many lousy Heuers in their auctions that people might not have looked closely at these nice ones.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE