The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Test Dial or Made in the Basement

: It seems to me that Nick Biebuyck (Heritage Director at TAG
: Heuer) has told you what you need to know -- that this dial /
: watch was likely produced as a test dial (perhaps by a company
: that supplied dials to Heuer) or by a watchmaker, but that the
: watch was not serially produced by Heuer and was not a prototype
: made or authorized by Heuer. In any event, it's a good looking
: watch!!

: Over the years, we have seen many watches in this "in
: between" category.

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks, Jeff. For me, this has come to a very satisfactory solution in assuaging my curiosity. This little trip in sorting out what I have has been a formative lesson in both Swiss horology and marketing during a very turbulent piece of horological history. It would be interesting to view some of these "grey" in-between pieces just to add some flesh to what we know and what what was going on in the early 1980s. Who knows, this might be a credible and unique sub-genre of the period whereby these companies were just doing whatever they could to survive. Anyway, you are correct, it is a lovely watch and I would like to acknowledge the work of Master watchmaker Adam Lewis (Lewiswatchco) of Perth Western Australia. Thanks to all who replied to my query and a big thank you to Fabrizio and Marco of Watchonista for allowing me an introduction to many of their contacts.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE