The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some things to consider on the path to decision...

Re: It is odd that there is one of each... Posted By: Mark Wille Date: 10/30/05 12:37 GMT In Response To: It is odd that there is one of each... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Thanks again for the advice :-)

I'm tempted to buy this one but I'll have a good hard think before I decide.

Regards, Mark

Mark, Do this... (I don't know where you've found this example) Do a "completed auction" search on eBay for Heuer Carrera's. Get a feel for what's been offered and the price they closed at.

Determine your "Stein Point", named for a concept that OnTheDash owner Jeff Stein came up with when bidding on eBay that I've come to call "The Stein Point": Jeff says to bid to the monetary point where you are indifferent about winning or not winning the auction. If you win at your maximum bid, you are indifferent, if you are outbid at your maximum bid, your are indifferent about the outcome. That's the Stein point. Next determine your "Maddox Point" which is the same thing as the Stein point, but 6 months after the deal: At what monetary point 6 months after the transaction (either you purchased or passed on the watch) would you likely feel indifferent about the purchase/missing of this item? Of course by it's nature, the Maddox point is a little tricky to predict/determine.

Remember that there is a lot of remorse when collecting watches (or uddah T'ings)... There is Buyer's remorse, Seller's remorse, Bidders remorse (I should have bid that much higher!), there is Potential Buyer's remorse (I should have bought a Split-Seconds Speedy when they were still in production), all kinds of watch remorse. Your thoughts now should be on how best to minimize any remorse you might feel about this opportunity in the future.

It's always a real good idea to examine all sides of a move with your collection before committing. Devils advocacy and Counter-Devil's advocacy is often helpful. And one of the last things you should ask before committing is "am I going to regret not going the other way on this one"?

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE