The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Much Controversy / Mucho Dinero

Hi Jeff, nice to meet u

U know i've looked at your site especially d one with d 740303 PVD on it. I noticed there are 3 different guys listing their watches.

If i can just make a humble comment or perhaps open up a discussion with u Re. the Creme de la Creme PVD

1st is Giorgio Vaiani, Italy... he's got 2 watches there. I notice that the 1st one (without d red box in d photo, with d black box) is definately overdone! Looking at the photo d pvd finishing on the case is too glossy, should be matt. Wrong hands, d 2 small chrono hands should be orange as well instead of white, but correct 2nd hand (apart from the fact that it's rather red in color than orange). His 2nd watch (the one sitting on top of a red box) is 'more' correct to me but at the same time the case shouldn't have that hairline finish!! And the buckle seems to me like it's painted in black.

The one that belongs to 'Watch Commander' looks quite right to me, the wear and tear on the pvd looks unfake, however it has the wrong crown. Apart from that i'd say it's quite original. By the way, I think they all should have all polished finish SS pushers and crown instead of PVD or whatever matt finish on the 740303.

The Ralf Beinenz's watch looks perfect to me all around, it seems like it has all the right thing a pvd should have even the buckle looks right. My question is, is the watch NOS? or is it restored? Looking at it, it seems to me that it's been restored due to the the fact that it no longer has its original leather strap. I mean why would it need strap replacement if it was NOS...?

My conclusion is Ralf's and Watch Comm's items seems to be the Real McCoy and the 2 Italian photos look odd to me. I guess they are what u call a "put together from someone's scrap," I mean, they both have got the right dials and so on... To reply to your feedback, I think 740303 PVD do exist as we both know, and they are a prototype i believe as i have done a bit of research myself. I am aware that they were given to Heuer Stockists in the 70s as a token of appreciation or a sample watch and not really a limited edition kind of thing. But i'm so curious to know how many of them are around.

Anyone from Japan even come up with one? or inquire abt one? have u got one yourself?

What i do professionally u mean? I'm a graphic designer and I also run a shop-gallery specializing in all things vintage, from all things with legs to all things with wheels (furnitures to cars)! I'm also a bit of a Cooper freak! Got a '95 Rover Cooper, '68 MK II cooper S, '63 Minivan and '57 Morris Traveller.

jason

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE