The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My 2cents about that Rolex!
In Response To: Manual wind Prefered *PIC* ()

I have tried to like the well known Rolex watches.

I have even bought a few, - the Classic oyster, Submariner date and a 1675 60's GMT which I always thought was probably the watch that I would end up with as my daily wearer. But!!

I moved them on to people who really appreciated them as I just couldn't.

Too much cost for brand alone with Rolex.

The problem is that after I committed to chronographs early on because of the - , cool styling, cool histories and the quality of the movements.

Regular watches like the classic Rolex just don't seem to be in the same league as any of them, not just el primeros, val.72's or the Lemania, just any nice looking chronograph, vintage and modern beats almost every regular timepiece for me.

But the Rolex that I could live with is the val.72 (or in the case of the early ones - in house) - Known as the Pre-Daytonas I think.

That one in particular gives me the same cool feeling as my Zenith or my Heuers or my Universals.

It is a really lovely watch and even though there is that huge brand premium, I have to say it would probably be worth it for all of the smiles it would give me.

Really - and I mean this - Really nice watch!

Regards

Alistair @ ATG

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE