The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
No Commemoratives / NO LEs for Me

whether it's watches, pens, or cars, I am not a fan of the "commemoratives" or the limited editions.

in my view, the "classics" and "re-issues" of the basic models are OK -- like the Carrera and the Monaco -- but there is no appeal / value added in coming out with numerous limited editions or commemorating specific events. to create a new Monaco in the Gulf colors is interesting, but I would not attribute much value to it being part of a "limited edition" or to special markings or packaging.

and you guys correctly point out that a limited edition is only valuable if the manufacturer protects it, by not issuing too many of the similar limited editions. does anyone remember the corvette ZR-1? it had limited production, at least until GM started putting many of the same performance goodies into subsequent models. that's when pricing on the ZR-1 started looking much more like the ordinary production corvettes.

for me, the ultimate "limited editions" are the vintage ones, in top condition. and these old ones from the period of the original event also serve as the best "commemoratives", in my opinion.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: The 2001 Senna Tag had an edition size of 1991.
: At the time I checked with Tag USA and they
: were only allocated 12 watches. I was able
: to find one of the 12 and bought it. I loved
: the watch until every year they released
: another "Limited" edition with
: more and more made. Unfortunately the more
: made the less special I feel my watch is.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE