The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
it's reasonable....(more)....
In Response To: TAG Heuer accuracy ()

:" I have a new TAG Heuer 2000 Exclusive automatic that runs 12 seconds fast a day."

it's not the greatest, but i think tag still thinks within 15 seconds a day is reasonable and they consider it within their window of tolerance. i find it personally to be pretty good time keeping. meaning much better to be 12 seconds fast than even 4 seconds slow, imho.

although all hope is not lost, you can change the position it sits overnight and possibly adjust the rate. i have a 2000, that i can get to almost perfect time if i sit it in the correct position overnight. try the basics, crown down, crown up, dial up, dial down. see if you can find a position that will allow it to lose some seconds overnight? worth a try.

"Is this normal?"

yes it is, for the most part. sometimes you'll read about watches keeping perfect time, but they all don't do that.

"Should I wait a while before sending
: back for repair?"

i would wait. it's really not that bad and keep in mind a mechanical will rarely to never keep perfect time. that's why quartz and atomic radio controlled watches were invented. they built a better mouse trap. mechanicals are still good enough though, and you get the "luxury" and "novelty" of something mechanical.

"What should the accuracy be
: for this watch? Thanks."

about what it is. on a modern eta based 2824 or 2892, i expect somewhere from about near perfect to about +10 to maybe as high as +15. although you might find one to be as bad as -10 to -15 slow.

yours could be regulated to be much closer, but i'd wait until it needs it's first overhaul. just my opinion though. if it bugs you that much you can send it in, or even use a good competent local watchmaker to regulate it for you. totally up to you based on what your comfortable with and what you aren't. good luck on whichever/whatever you decide to do.

j.h.

Messages In This Thread

TAG Heuer accuracy
Re: TAG Heuer accuracy *LINK*
it's reasonable....(more)....
Re: it's reasonable....(more)....
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE