The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Carrera Crown Problem

Greetings!

I own a 1153N Carrera, and I have a couple of questions, which I'm hoping that someone can answer for me.

First of all, I was correcting the date on the watch at month-end, and upon moving the hands "clockwise", the crown just rotated, and eventually became unscrewed and came off in my hand. I carefully replaced it with no problem, but now I can't move the hands clockwise without the crown free wheeling and coming unscrewed as before.

Setting the hands counter clockwise works as normal, no (spinning of the crown) and the watch continues to keep perfect time. I've owned the watch for some time now and I like to keep it as perfect as possible. It's one of my proudest possesions!

My questions:

-Is this a major problem to repair? How screwed up is my watch now (I'm in a panic!)
-Is this a common problem to this watch/movement?
-Is there something I might be doing/not doing which may have created this problem in the first place.
-What about my using a winder with the Micro Rotor movement? (Although I don't see how this would have any effect; or am I wrong?).

Any thoughts, ideas or opinions would certainly be appreciated by all.

I don't see many questions pertaining to repairing Heuers, on the forum, but I'm a little anxious to know what may have caused the problem, and what I might do to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Thanks!
Bruce

I travel a great deal, and to keep the watch sitting idle for a week or more at a time, I invested in a quality watch winder. I set the winder to the correct setting for the Micro Rotor movement, and it seems to be working just fine and keeping good time.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE