The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
"What is So Special?", You Ask

thanks for your message, and congratulations on this great find. let me provide some basic information.

It's difficult to say what makes these so old Heuers so special.

• Many believe that the design of the early Master Times is particularly beautiful / classic / timeless (maybe like a 1950's Rolex Explorer);
  • they were well-built, reliable instruments;
  • used for an interesting / glamorous purpose (automobile races / rallies);
  • because they were used (and often abused), samples in good condition have become scarce
  • people restoring old race cars will often pay big money for these dashboard timers, as the finishing touch on a restoration

Throw all that information in a bag, shake it up, swing it around your head, and we get a value in the $1800 to $2000 range (if it is really unused / mint).

If the papers say Heuer "Timer" Corp, rather than Heuer "Time" Corp., then we know that this one dates from before around 1964 (when this name change occured). Photos of the dial / movement would allow us to provide a more exact date.

Let me know if I can provide additional information . . . it would be great to see photos of this old guy! Shown below is one of the early Master Times from my collection.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: My mother recently passed away and I found this
: gem in her hoard, it belonged to her father
: who collected time pieces. I searched your
: site and have a good feeling for what it is,
: but figured I would describe it here for a
: positive ID and possible general idea of
: worth. We won't be selling it but want to
: make sure it's insured if necessary.

: Description: 3-6-9-12 Heuer Master-time, 8 days
: It looks identical to the picture on this site
: for the "Early Master Time" made
: 1958-1967.

: What is special about this dash mounted
: timepiece? Well, it has never been used. It
: is in the original box, has the original
: sealed plastic bag of mounting screws, the
: timepiece itself is immaculate and it has
: the original instructions. The front page of
: the instructions reads: Heuer
: Master-Time
: Timing Instrument
: for the Dashboard of
: Motor Cars, Power Boats,
: Airplanes

: and it is stamped with "Heuer Timer
: Corporation 441 Lexington Avenue, New York
: 17, N.Y.

: Anything you can do to help me would be much
: appreciated.

: Thank you!
: Fred

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE