The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Seller's reply

OK Guys,

Now that I have ended the auction early because I have a few offers I can finaly speak out without any conflict of interests. The dial is totally original AND vintage. When the watch was serviced by LVMH I asked exactly the same question about the minute markers and the colour of the dial (a more electric blue than the "classic" Steve McQueen model). The reply from LVMH Geneve (and this was by phone!) was that the dial is the final batch of dials that were used on the Monaco before it ceased production in around 1978 to 1979. It seems the last batch of dials were different because they were supplied by a different dial maker, hence, the longer minute markers.

From a common sense point of view, if it were a redial or even a fake dial, this would be a pretty poor fake since the "pointers" that you all noticed are pretty obvious to pick up. In addition, LVMH would not service a watch with a fake dial. A fake dial may slip by the LVMH service centre in Hong Kong but I very much doubt this would slip by Geneve once the watch was sent there - which is what happened. The other pointers of fake or redials on Monacos hat have been discussed many times on this forum such as the closed "4" are all on this dial.

Last but not least, some very distinquished members of this forum (who shall remain nameless since I do not want to be seen as trading-off on another's good name) placed bids on this watch when the action took place which hopefully speaks for the authenticity of the dial to some extent.

I hope this clears up some of the points discussed on this thread.

By the way, while we are the topic, one of the Off-ebay offers I got is from a guy based in France called Michael Carbon who has one negative feedback for not paying for a Heuer Monaco. Anyone on this forum dealt with him before or was the one who left the negative feedback? It would be great if you could email me if you have any information. I am getting highly suspicious about his so-called offer since he has replied to my emails using at least two aliases as far as I can tell.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE