The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
ebay Warning of a Different Variety

I bid on a three-button Monte Carlo this morning, Item number 2663326907, and hit the reserve (at $450). someone then sent me an e-mail message pointing out that this same photo and the identical description had been used in an auction that ended almost a month ago (ebay Item number 2655944511).

Seller in the current auction has feedback of 10; most recent feedback was from 1999; telephone number available through ebay was "not in service". Seller did not appear to be the buyer from the previous auction.

I retracted my bid, as permitted under ebay rules. I don't know what is going on here, but wanted readers to be aware of this situation. Maybe auction is legitimate, but I did not want to have my bid sitting there (with reserve met), while I checked it out. It would be too easy for seller to end the auction and demand the payment.

Thanks to R.L. for the e-mail / "heads up".

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

ebay Warning of a Different Variety
Re: ebay Warning of a Different Variety *LINK*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE