The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Heuers for the Israeli Military *LINK*

With the recent listings of a couple of Israeli Military Heuer chronographs, I have received some inquiries on the issue of what might be real and what might be fake.

Here is one sold recently on ebay - - -

• A Heuer expert told me that he does not believe that this chronograph was made by Heuer, and that he was uncertain about the Israeli military markings
  • An Israeli chronograph collector told me that the Israeli military markings are not "correct", but that he thinks that the piece was made by Heuer

So the Heuer-guy says it isn't a Heuer and the Israeli-guy says it isn't Israeli!!

Here is my own analysis:

• The "Heuer" logo / home-plate looks wrong . . . It is the flatter, thinner style used in the 1940's rather than the taller, fatter style used in the 1960's and 1970's.
  • The case and bezel do not match any Heuers known to be real, but they do match some that seem to be fakes
  • The dial markings look "weak", particularly those on the two registers
  • I have never seen a Heuer chronograph that does not have markings for 1/5ths of seconds
  • The hands do not match any Heuer known to me to be real

I realize that military timepieces often differ from their civilian counterparts. If the agency ordering the pieces wants white hands, they will be white. If they do not want markings for 1/5ths of seconds, I am sure these markings can be deleted.

For my money, I'll stick with the Autavia, Reference 113.603, which I know to be a genuine Heuer issued by the Israeli armed forces to certain officers. Here are a couple of these - - -

Below is a link that will take you to the OnTheDash page where the one on the right is shown in greater detail.

If anyone knows more about any of these chronographs, I would welcome the information.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE