The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
New Approach to the "Five Under $5K" Question

You guys are correct -- at $5,000 per watch, my friend would not be excluding much at all; and for a novice collector to drop $25K of the first five is a bit of a stretch.

I think the more interesting exercise might be to find five "classics" for under $10K, total.

I start with the following:

• Heuer Carrera, Valjoux 72, white-on-white . . . say $2,000
  • Omega Speedmaster, 861 movement, circa 1969 . . . say $1500
  • Zenith El Primero, circa 1970 . . . say $2000

So my friend will have spent $5500, and will have three of the undisputed classics.

If it suits has taste (large chronos, from the 60's / 70's) he could add some sort of Breitling Navitimer or Co-Pilot / Unitime (around $3,000), and he will have $1,500 remaining (for some reasonable Sinn).

I believe that the average collector might want to make some substitutions -- maybe find one of the 50's types / dressy / gold watch -- Angelus, or Tissot, or Lemania, or Jaeger?? Maybe go lighter on one of the watches (re-issue Carrera instead of Valjoux 72), and splurge for a Monaco or Espada? Maybe a moonphase / triple calendar for special occasions?

So after I finish a couple of other projects (??), maybe this would be a fun page . . . "Five Under $10K"; something of a companion to the Vintage Heuer Price Guide.

Thanks for all the responses.

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

New Approach to the "Five Under $5K" Question
5 under 5 *PIC*
Nice! *NM*
Well done! *NM*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE