The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Montreal with luminous markers

: Hello Bruce. I have always valued your opinion
: concerning Heuer and I have a question. I
: have a Heuer Montreal with gold plated case
: and gold dial. It also has the raised gold
: indices (I have a gold plated Autavia with
: gold dial and the same raised indices). I
: also have a stainless case Montreal with the
: white dial and silver raised indices. I have
: two stainless case Montreal with black dials
: and the raised slim and long luminous hour
: markers. I also have a stainless case
: Montreal with dark blue dial and the same
: indice as show in the auction that you
: mention, which are raise slim long luminous
: hour markers. My question is why did Heuer
: put raised gold and silver indices on some
: Montreals (Gold and White) and didn't on the
: Black and Blue Dial Montreals. When you lay
: the Montreals side by side the Gold Dial and
: White Dial look much more expensive and
: impressive than the Black and Blue Dial
: Montreals. I have always felt that there was
: something amiss about the Montreals without
: the raised indices in silver. Thank you for
: your insight and opinion. Charles Rush

hi Charles

firstly, please post a picture of, what must be, the most comprehensive collection of Montreals in captivity.

looking over the 'mother of all tables' on 'on the dash' i note that the Montreal table needs some additions. it fails to mention the stainless and black parkerised versions which had the all black dial with luminous markers only. like you, i think the versions with the raised battens look much more impressive and expensive, but there is something nice about the simplicity of the all black dial.

there seems to be no reason as to why Heuer offered the blue, black/white and white/black dial Montreals with and without the raised batten markers (the gold and all black dial versions were not offered with both options as far as i know).

it would seem that it was just a matter of consumer choice.

you will note that the Autavia GMT also only has luminous markers and not the raised battens like (nearly) all other Autavias. this was so that the GMT hand could have enough space under the other hands.

bruce

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE