The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Greeting from the Land of Military Heuers!!

The two-button "Flieger" (pilots) chronograph has been toward the top of my (imaginary) "most wanted" list for the last few years. Recently, I missed a fantastic one on ebay (as I was caught in the "friendly fire" of a snipe from one of our "good guys") and then missed another (mediocre one) on ebay (as I was $700 short of the winning bid of $2550). I did come away with a nice consolation prize, a one-button Flieger with plenty of patina (shown below, in the third photo).

I am on vacatation this week, with the family in Israel. In the watch collecting world, Israel is known for some of its military watches -- the Eterna Kon Tiki was issued to Navy Seals and at least four versions of the Heuer Autavia were issued to Army, Air Force and Navy officers. There have also been the IWC's and Tudors, I believe.

I've been here one week, and haven't seen an Autavia or a Kon Tiki, but today I bought the two-button Flieger, shown immediately below. This watch definitely comes with a story, which started with an e-mail to the owner 16 months ago, and ended with a late night meeting at a gas station and an afternoon meeting at a street fair (when I delivered a pocket-full of shekels and my new friend, Nissan, delivered the watch). I will definitely share this story, sometime soon.

In the meanwhile, let me share this lousy photo, a handheld shot taken just a few minutes ago, in the dark of night. I am also posting an image from Konrad Knirim's magnificent book on German military timepieces.

Man, I just love this hobby (and these old fliegers)!!

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Greeting from the Land of Military Heuers!!
Mil Colors
Re: Greeting from the Land of Military Heuers!!
nice story Jeff
Nice find
another great find!...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE