The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
STEVE MCQ.- Le Mans MOVIE- i met HERBERT LINGE ! *LINK*

GERMANY , ESSEN , DECEMBER 2006

Where i suddently run into a little story about the
Porsche 908/02 FLUNDER –SOLAR RACE-CAR FROM THE STEVE MC QUEEN-MOVIE LE MANS with the racedriver HERBERT LINGE;

HERBERT LINGE Porsche Race Driver in the 1950 antill 1970 ties ,
JASPER BITTER from Classicheuer,
HEIDI HETZER one of germanys first woman race drivers in the 70 ties,
ERICH BITTER race & rallye driver in the 60 ties AND car manufactor with the famous cars BITTER CD and BITTER SC built from him in the 1970 ties!!

( Jeff perhaps you could add this pic too; it shows us , from the left)

we were at a meeting in Essen-Germany- on the intern. Motor Show with 150 famous german ex. rallye/race and formular 1- drivers . Thats where i first contacted Herbert Linge for a interview -date in dec. 2006.

FRANCE , LE MANS 24 HOURS RACE , August 1970

HERBERT LINGE was the Porsche factory race team driver, who drove the offical 24 hours race in le mans 1970 as last race to finish his career !
But he was also in the 6 weeks after the 24 hours race on the set as a driver of the Solar Film race car-Prosche 908/02 spyder -in steves le mans movie and even made same stunts / and was the double of steve (his Solar Productions film contract and Prosche forbid him to drive himself the fast cars in the film at high speed ).

He told me a lot of the insiders stories about the making of le mans movie ! and about steve, a very shy guy, it was forbidden to take personal pics from the set and from steve, thats why there is only one foto of steve with all drivers on it !!( Please Jeff, post the group picture of the drivers ,standing on the track)

But the best was, he gave me same film adds
( forbidden privat pics !sorry but i cant post them too!) and even a regie script paper from the day -13.08.1970- with his actions and times when to be on the track in his Porsche filmcar.

Here is just a little about the
Porsche 908 Flunder "Steve McQueen"
In 1970, Solar Productions was granted permission to enter McQueen's Porsche 908 Flunder in the 24 Hours of LeMans in order to film actual race footage for the movie "LeMans". The McQueen/Revson Sebring car was modified to carry three film cameras (one under a protective cowling on the nose and two were mounted in the rear). Drivers Jonathan Williams and Herbert Linge completed 282 laps in the race itself which placed the Camera Car 8th overall in the race, but, besause the changing of the film rolls in the paddock / Box took to long!! ,the car was not classified in the final results.

Mr Linge was so friendly and signed a pic from him in his Porsche Film Car, specially for our HEUER Forum ONTHEDASH ( please jeff, post that pic for all Heuer Fans from our forum) !

Thanks and greetings, JASPER BITTER from www.classicheuer.de

Messages In This Thread

STEVE MCQ.- Le Mans MOVIE- i met HERBERT LINGE ! *LINK*
Re: STEVE MCQ.- Le Mans MOVIE- i met HERBERT LINGE
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE