The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I own an example of each: this model and a Zodiac
In Response To: Heuer Carrera Dato 12 ()

this watch looks absolutely genuine to me

To me too, I own the exact same model:
While the dial of my example is far from perfect, I'll draw your attention to the date ring at 10 and 25, I feel my example's dial is in much better shape than PhilWatch's example. The Gubelin imprint on the dial is unusual, and not present on any other example I've seen on this model.

it would seem to be a Heuer Carrera Dato 12, as you say, made in the 60s. a quick search in the catalogues on on the dash should find it.. it has a slightly weird case where the movement comes out for servicing via the front of the case, though it has a screw back.

Yes, this seems to be very similar to my example and it is a legit Heuer model of the 1960's not the 1940's as the seller indicates.

Jeff posted a very nice message on the subject of Carrera values last month that is worth review: http://chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?read=1248... Actually the entire thread is worth reviewing...

Zodiac also marketed an identical watch (except for the signatures)

I actually own a Zodiac Dato 12 in the Black Dial/White Sub-Dial configuration. I'll see if I can rustle up a picture to post... I just checked my directory and I don't have pictures of this particular watch. I'll try to get shots of it and my Carrera Dato 12 taken today.

i think the extra Gubilin signature is from a German or Swiss jewlers.

I agree... Probably similar to the "Fisher" imprint...

hope this helps

I hope this helps too...

For the record, I bought my example from eBay from the seller in Managascar and it required $100 of remediation from Hans upon arrival, so I have about $1,600 into mine. The only other one I've seen listed on eBay recently went for $2,000 and it's dial (and everything else) was PERFECT. That will give you an idea as to a range this example should fetch.

bruce

In the spirit of full disclosure, I'll mention that I purchased two watches from PhilWatch last spring, both Omega Seamaster c.1040 Automatic Chronographs off of eBay. I found Phil to be a pleasure to work with and the only issues with the watches I bought from him was both of them had very VERY gummy gasket's. But I would have no qualms about doing business with him. He's of the good lot, if you know what I mean...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Messages In This Thread

1940 Heuer Ebay Item 2667078049
Re: 1940 Heuer Ebay Item 2667078049
Spoke to Phil, the seller
Heuer Carrera Dato 12
I own an example of each: this model and a Zodiac
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE