The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Over in the Omega forums I routinely call myself…

Damn you Jeff Stein! Damn you too, Chuck Maddox!

If I only had a dime for everytime that last part has been uttered or said... I could afford a Daytona or two (and I'm not talking about a Heuer Daytona either!)...

Posted By: JohnK Date: 3/6/07 19:27 GMT

A while ago I knew nothing about watches. Then a Siffert Autavia fell into my lap and I decided to do a little research on it.

“a Siffert Autavia fell into my lap”... a Siffert Autavia fell into my lap? Where has your lap been? Siffert's don't just fall in people's laps unless you're in Candyland on Gumdrop lane...

Lo and behold, I stumbled upon a website called On The Dash. That was trouble. I can't stop thinking about watches. I have already added another vintage Heuer to my wrist and would have had a third if the dial didn't scare me off.

Just wait, don't worry... A third will come around soon enough.

I didn't think things could get any worse...

To quote Locutus of Borg: "A narrow vision..."....

then thanks to another "abandoned watch", I was given an Omega Speedmaster.

żabandoned? żAn Omega Speedmaster? żabandoned?

Where are you located? Who are you? Whom do you know? Are you interested in adoption? I promise to take good care of any watches I sneak out of your sock drawer to wear for a day.

I decided to do a little research on it and discovered a webpage and an index of articles written by Chuck Maddox. Uh-oh. This can't be good. Another WIS the caliber (no pun intended) of Jeff Stein.

Yep. It was trouble. In addition to the donated Speedy, now there is a 25th anniversary Apollo XI Speedy in rotation on my wrist.

And so that begins...

And that's how it is...

For now... Just wait...

I can look at my watch and not know what time it is. I start and stop chronographs just to watch the needles move. I'll sit in a darkened room and compare lumes. I wander through AD's plastering my face on display cases.

Just wait until the Pawnshops, watchfaires and flea markets get a glimpse at this one!

So...all jokes aside,

Who's joking?

I would just like to say a BIG thanks to the guys like Jeff Stein and Chuck Maddox. You've corrupted me horribly, and am I ever happy you did. Thanks for being there.

Over in the Omega forums I routinely call myself… “The most responsible person on the forum...”, Responsible for more emptied wallets, drained bank accounts, maxxed out credit cards, overextended loans, troubled marriages, broken homes...

Of course over here, I'm mearly among the most responsible people here on this forum. Certainly Jeff is exceedingly responsible for some of the collateral damage mentioned in the above paragraph, but we have other co-conspirators as well.

I've often said that at the top of every watch collecting related forum there should be a notice: Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here! These smail complicated machines we strap or buckle to our wrists are addictive anyone who tells you otherwise is fooling themselves.

Please feel free to let either of us know if there is anything either of us can do to increase the misery!

Cheers and Good Hunting!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE