The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself...

Although I've posted a few times here in the past and recently, I thought I'd actually introduce myself formally.

My name is Allen St. John. I'm pretty much a watch newbie. I'm a huge F1 racing fan, especially from back in the day with Rindt, Siffert, and Bruce McLaren (all gone but not forgotten) which is why Heuers have a special appeal to me.

I've got a couple of poor person's Heuers right now--a Champion logo Carrera-style (which doesn't work) and a Pasadena-style PVD Letour with a Shadow/Tabatip logo on the dial that has a on the crystal coming loose. I've also got an old Omega Constellation (14K, cushion case, day date) which was dropped by my son and now also needs repair.

At the moment, having gotten past my "lose/break every watch" phase, I'm looking for one nice workhorse Heuer, probably a Camaro or an Autavia, but I'm open to other options.

When I'm not asking stupid questions here, I'm a writer. I have a sports column called By the Numbers in the Wall Street Journal every Friday, and I write for a wide variety of national magazines. I've also written a bunch of books, but the most relevant is called Clapton's Guitar. It's ostensibly about my friend Wayne Henderson who's the world's greatest acoustic guitar builder, but at heart it's about craftmanship and the transformative virtues of fine objects, themes I think many of you would find interesting.

thanks in advance for the advice and counsel,
Allen

Messages In This Thread

Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself...
welcome on this forum Allen.......
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE