The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Heuer - Tag Heuer passion?

Hi all, hope you are all well, just wondering, i know this is a heuer forum but i visit it daily to hear all you guys rave about the automatic heuers and how good they are..........

i have learnt a lot about collecting watches from reading this forum and other like-minded folk, and realise what they mean to you guys.

I now have the bug maybe a poor mans bug at that but still it is becoming a passion, over the last 18mths i have collected numerous tag heuers and a few heuer 1000 series, all quartz movements...yes i can see you all wince with disgust but hey! we can't all be made with the same mould....

Anyhow the question i ask is why do Tag Heuer not cater for the poor man and his watch collection...haha, loads of laughs, Tag Heuer or Heuer is not a poor mans watch????, WELL IT IS IF YOU COLLECT ROLEX WATCHES!!!!.

The point i will come to later, the heuer company was successful prior to 'Techniques d' Avant-Garde' yet maybe did not sell as many watches prior to joining with 'Tag', a serious rethink and joining of two companies resulted in Tag Heuer, thus the first model to be introduced being the introduction of the F1 watch which appealed to the poor man and his budget, this i must stress boosted the company profits way above expectation, approx 66 million Swiss francs in 1988 as opposed to only 11 million francs in 1982. Yet some time later it was - GONE!!!!.

Now we have numerous re-issues Autavia, Carrera, Monza, you get the picture....yes all very good watches but very pricey, where has the poor mans watch gone???, a £500 pound sel is possibly the bottom line - quite possibly the most shocking watch i have seen to date, what basis does a watch have to expect a re-issue, 30 years old, 50 years????, availability or just pure interest from guys like yourselfs.

I am sure Tag Heuer could make absolutely millions from a re-issue of the F1 series, yet had it not been for the poor mans F1 there may never have been a re-issue of any of these fine watches, would the original Autavia's, Carrera's, Monza's been as collectable or worth a kings ransom had the Heuer brand gone to ground prior to the joining of Heuer & TAG and the succesful F1, i would like a re-issue F1 and soon!!!!, maybe you all have a lot of poor mens F1's to thank, warmest regards, James.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE