The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Why Not the Poor Men ? ? ?

: while of course I love the Heuer originals, I
: am more than happy to enjoy being a
: "poor man" at a fraction of the
: price :)
: cheers,
: Peter

First off, that's a cool watch, no doubt.
But it's not going for a small fraction of the original (say 25 percent), it's going for a large fraction (around 60 percent or even a little more.)
PMH's seem to have at least kept pace with the market, but I wonder if this will continue long term.
While watch collecting is a somewhat arcane thing, non WISes can look at, say, a Carrera 45 and understand that this is a watch upon which the TAG Heuer Carrera re-issue that you can buy at the jewelery store at the mall is based. They can understand the value of the watch, and might even buy one.
However, saying that this watch was made by Heuer or resembles on that was made by Heuer, that's a horse of a different color, there's a much smaller group of potential buyers for these watches.
Let's say we're doing the opposite of 5-4-8. A bunch of us each get say $1200 to invest in a watch that would be put inside a ziploc bag inside a coffee can and buried in the backyard. In five years, we dig it up and the watch that's worth the most wins.
Do you go for the lower middle of the real Heuer line, say a nice Viceroy Autavia? Or do you find the best PMH you can find, something like that Carrera-clone Clebar?
My hunch is that the Autavia's going to be your winner.

best
Allen

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE