The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A Tale of Two Weiner Skippers -Jeff please confirm *PIC*

I’ve been searching for my annual Heuer purchase for the past few months and I was just about ready to close a deal with Alex – a frequent contributor on this forum – for a very nice Skipper he had for sale. I got busy preparing for a business trip to Austria and had to postpone the watch purchase. Well, as it turns out - it must have been fate. 50 meters from the IBM building I was working in all week was a tiny vintage clock shop. There in the window – next to a pair of plastic Monte Carlo dash timers, was an NOS Ref 15640 Skipper. The shop keeper apologized (in very broken English) that the watch did not have the correct SS band; consequently, he would “give me good deal”. I agreed with his assessment, since the band has a TAG/Heuer embossed buckle. I figured with the great deal I was getting, I could find a correct band and still be within my budget.

As it turns out, I believe that the band is indeed correct and original. I am convinced that this circa '85 Skipper is one of the very last Ref 15640’s produced. I suspect that many watches produced just after TAG group purchased Heuer were “Cross-over” models that have pre and post Tag components. Basically, they just used up the existing stock. If I’m not mistaken, Jeff Stein has a Lamania 5100 Carrerra that sports a TAG/Heuer buckle.

This is a great story that I’ll never forget as long as I live. It’s even more interesting because I tried to talk Alex out of a NOS Skipper for weeks but he wouldn’t budge. He told me he bought the watch in Austria and it had a sentimental story behind it.

So, this is the story of two NOS “Weiner (Viennese) Skippers”. I hope you enjoyed it. I was so thrilled about my purchase; I did some Theme shots when I got home. I’d like this post to kick-off a “Theme Shot” thread. Include your favorite Heuer Chronograph with props.

Cheers,

Lyle

Messages In This Thread

A Tale of Two Weiner Skippers -Jeff please confirm *PIC*
and more details for the Skipper lovers
very possible....
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE